Classic Christmas Veggies – Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Parsnips & CarrotsAccompaniments
On The Countdown to Christmas My Pantry Gave to Me…
Ahh, parsnips, carrots and Brussels sprouts, the three classic Christmas vegetables my Christmas dinner table would never be without. I am sure you may already roast your parsnips and carrots but lets add some rosemary just to be different this year. The Brussels sprouts – hmm… that needs another paragraph.
The humble Brussels sprout, probably the most controversial Christmas vegetable of all time. Most people equate these miniature cabbages with the soft, water logged, over cooked sprouts served as school dinners. But they are so much more than that. Smother them in coconut oil, add lots of garlic, plus a shake of salt and they are transformed. Not too dry on the inside, slightly crispy on the outside, with the subtle taste of coconut. If this does not change your mind about Brussels, nothing will!
Classic Christmas Veggies
Prep time: 15 mins. Cook time: 45 mins. Serves: 2-4
Roasted Brussels sprouts
- 500g bag of Brussels sprouts
- 2 cloves garlic ( thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
Roasted rosemary parsnips & carrots
- 5 parsnips (quartered lengthwise)
- 3 carrots (quartered lengthwise)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- Approx 1 litre water (for parboiling)
- Preheat oven to gas mark 7 / 425 F / 220 C
- Peel, wash and halve Brussels sprouts lengthwise
- Add sprouts, sliced garlic and salt to a large bowl. Mix/massage coconut oil into sprouts, covering them completely.
- Empty sprouts onto baking tray.
- Cook for 45 mins until crisp outside, tender inside. Turning half way.
Rosemary parsnips & carrots
- Par-boil quartered parsnips and carrots for 5 minutes in boiling salted water.
- Drain and leave to sit in colander for 5 mins
- Transfer to mixing bowl. Add coconut oil, rosemary and salt . Gently toss.
- Empty onto baking tray.
- Cook for 10 mins. Crumble leaves form rosemary springs over; discard stems. Toss to coat.
- Cook for a further 30 mins or until soft and golden brown. If necessary place under the grill for 3-5 mins to finish browning.