Festive GingerbreadSweet treats
On The Countdown to Christmas My Pantry Gave to Me…
Over the last week I have had more than my fair share of sweet treats, but there is always room for Gingerbread! This moist, warmly spiced gingerbread smells and tastes just like Christmas. So’s not to feel too guilty about my Christmas overindulgence I have made this gingerbread as healthy as possible, without compromising on taste. Enjoy!
Prep time: 7 mins. Cook time: 45 mins. Serves: 4-8
- 2 tsp ground flaxseeds + 6 tsp water
- 150g wholewheat spelt flour
- 150g white spelt flour
- 1 tsp non-aluminum baking powder
- 1 tsp non-aluminum bicarbonate (baking) soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp allspice ( or mixed spice)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 100g coconut oil
- 100g coconut sugar
- 100g blackstrap molasses
- 100g apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 100ml plant milk
- 50ml water
- hand full of cranberrys and pistachios (optional for decoration)
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4 / 350 F / 180 C
- Mix flaxseeds with 6 tsp of water. Set aside.
- Add flour, baking powder, bicarbonate (baking) soda, ginger, allspice, cinnamon and salt to large mixing bowl. Stir thoroughly.
- Add coconut oil, coconut sugar and blackstrap molasses to a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat until melted. Remove from heat.
- Add apple sauce and maple syrup.
- Slowly pour into dry ingredients and stir a few times.
- Add milk, water and flaxseed mixture.
- Stir. Stop string when no flour patches at bottom of bowl.
- Pour into greased loaf tin and bake for 45-50 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on rack.