Healthy Vegan NutellaSweet treats
In times of desperate need for chocolate, but there’s not a bar in your home supplies. What do you do? Answer is pretty simple: raid the kitchen cupboards and knock up a jar of vegan Nutella. It’s sweet, chocolatey, but yet so healthy and it stops those sweet craving in its tracks!
Healthy Vegan Nutella
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 15 mins Serves: 1 jar
- 150g/ 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 10-12 soft pitted dates *
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla essence (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup water (more or less depending on your taste )
- Pre- heat oven to gas mark 4 / 350 F / 177 C
- Place raw hazelnut onto a baking tray and bake for 12-15 mins. The nuts should be a deep brown colour and skin should start to peel off.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Place nuts on a dish cloth and rub to remove as much of the skin as possible. Set aside skinned hazelnuts (this step is optional you do not have to remove skin)
- Add hazelnut to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until forms into as close to hazelnut butter as possible. Stop blender and scrape sides every so often.
- Add dates, cacao/cocoa, vanilla and water. Blend until smooth adding enough water until it forms your desired consistency.
- Transfer into a glass jar. Enjoy spread onto oat cakes, toast or on top of porridge.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 5-7 days so not to spoil.
* 10-12 soft dates depending on your sweetness. If using more than 10 dates you may have to add a bit more water. If using dried dates than soak in hot water for 15mins so them become soft, darin and use.