Kenyan Chai TeaBeverages
Good morning. Please excuse any gobbledygook, I’m a little sleep derived over here. It’s been one of those mornings when you stagger out of bed feeling like your head and the pillow did not connect. I’m tired dot-com-backslash- I need to go back to bed. Usually this means 2 things (1) I’m going to be a grumpy old goat until at least 11 am or (2) need a large cup of Chai tea and fast! As I have a to-do list as long as my arm (and leg), I opt for the latter.
After 45 mins of listening to Lulu scream “mummy get up, get up!”, I finally manage to drag myself out of bed. I stumble over the clothing basket cleverly parked in the middle of the room, and make a b-line for the kitchen to prepare a strong pot of Kenyan tea.
Chai, as it’s officially known, is made quite differently from your British builders brew.
It’s not dissimilar to your typical coffee shop Latte, but instead of coffee, loose leaves are used. In actuality I suppose it is a Tea latte. Does this sound familiar? Latte’s like these are readily available amongst larger Coffee shop chains across the globe. For example, Starbucks do something similar, but I’m not sure I would describe it as ‘authentic’?
Put simply, Kenyan Chai tea contains the following :
1 part Milk …
1 part Water …
You don’t have to stop there, adding cardamon and ginger gives the tea further depth and warmth.
Kenyan Chai Tea
Prep time: 2 mins. Cook time:7 mins. Serves: 2
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups almond milk (or any non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 2 tsp loose Kenyan black tea leaves (or any other loose black tea/opened tea bag)
- 2 tsp ginger – minced/grated
- 4 cardamon pods, split
- 4 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon, broken
- coconut palm sugar (or sweetener of your choice), to taste
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 cup water and bring to boil.
- Add minced ginger, split cardamon pods, cloves, cinnamon stick and tea leaves. Stir then boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk. Bring to boil then simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain. Add sugar to taste, and enjoy.