North African Spiced Red Lentil and Chickpea SoupMains
We all know that red lentils are a vegan’s best friend and being so versatile, why wouldn’t they be. These little orange lovelies have the capacity to create a healthy, hearty meal and don’t require an overnight soak. So please let me introduce you to my gorgeous North African Spiced Red Lentil and Chickpea soup. It is packed full of protein, very filling and delicious. Definitely worth a try. Enjoy!
North African Spiced Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup
Prep time: 5 mins. Cook time: 35 mins. Serves: 2-3
- 1 1/2- 2 Tbsp cooking oil (preferably coconut oil)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp harissa spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp (70g) red lentils (washed and drained)
- 600ml water (more if needed)
- 1 stock vegetable stock cube (optional)
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (170g) cooked chickpeas* ( if using canned rinse and drain thoroughly)
- salt and pepper – to taste
- Add onions and oil to large pot and sauté for 4 mins until translucent
- Add garlic, paprika, cumin and harissa and sauté for 2 mins
- Add washed lentils and water. Bring to a near boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 mins, or until lentils are almost cooked.
- Add tin tomatoes, cook for 10 mins.
- Add chickpeas and cinnamon. Continue to cook for 5-7mins.
- Remove from heat and transfer 2/3 into blender. Blend until smooth. If you prefer your soup completely smooth feel free and blend it all!
- Transfer back to pot, stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Gently re-heat if necessary. You can add more water, if you prefer your soup less thick.
- Serve with crusty wholemeal bread or oatcakes sprinkled with chopped coriander or parsley.
* For nice textured soup the softer the chickpeas the better. If using canned chickpeas and they are slighly on the hard side I suggest cooking them in a seperate cook until tender while the lentils are cooking. They should easily squash between two fingers.