Vegan Mac and Cheese PieAccompaniments
On The Countdown to Christmas My Pantry Gave to Me…
If mum’s not quite brave enough to tackle a nut roast, Mac and Cheese pie is a fantastic alternative that everyone can enjoy.
Made with wholewheat spelt pasta, cashew nuts and tahini, with ground almonds as your as your topping. Swap out the spelt for brown rice pasta and this indulgent dish is gluten, dairy and egg-free.
Vegan Mac and Cheese Pie
Pre time: 5 mins. Cook time: 35 mins. Serves: 4-6
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk ( or any other plant milk) **
- 1 large bay leaf
- 300g wholewheat spelt ( or gluten free) pasta
- 1/2 onion ( sliced)
- 1/2 medium potato (approx. 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 carrot
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup (90g) raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup (100g) ground almonds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 5 / 375 F / 190 C
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente (soft but slight chewy). Drain. Whilst pasta is cooking assemble sauce.
- Add milk, bay leaf and onion into a saucepan. Simmer on low heat for 5 mins. Remove bay leaf.
- In a separate pot add potato and carrot. Boil until tender. Drain.
- Add milk mixture, cooked potatoes and carrots, garlic, nutritional yeast, cashews, tahini, apple cider vinegar, paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper into a blender. Blend until creamy.
- In a small bowl mix ground almonds, olive oil, salt and pepper. Rub mixture between fingers to form crumbs. Add tiny amount of water if needed.
- Add blended sauce to pasta. Stir coating well.
- Transfer into casserole dish, spread evenly.
- Top with almond crumb mixture.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 mins. If needed, place until grill to brown. 1-2 mins takinh care not to burn.
- Serve hot, or allow to cool and slice.
*Substitute nutritional yeast with additonal tahini/ 1/2 cup Brazil nuts. Add more milk where necessary.
** For a gooey mac and cheese gooey add 1/2 cup extra almond milk