Vegan Nut, Bean and Seed LoafMains
On The Countdown to Christmas My Pantry Gave to Me…
Ah, a nut roast. How could I not include this as part of my Vegan Christmas special! It may not be the most glamorous dish on your Christmas dinner table but a decent nut loaf always goes down well at Christmas.
As usual, I have added a twist….So here we have it -Nut, bean and seed loaf. Almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds all mixed into the delicious, faithful kidney bean. This combination transforms your standard nut roast into hearty nut, bean and seed loaf that’s tasty, satisfying, and filling with a spicy kick (optional). Need I say more! Whether you dollop on some cranberry sauce, drizzle on gravy or stuff it into a pita pocket on Boxing day, it’s a definite winner.
Vegan Nut, Bean and Seed Loaf
Prep time: 5 mins. Cook time: 1 hr 5 mins. Serves: 4-6
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 6 tbsp water ( flax-eggs)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp cooking oil (ideally coconut oil)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 2 cans of kidney beans (drained and rinsed) or 3 cups home-cooked kidney beans (drained thoroughly)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup almonds (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid aminos
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 5 / 375 F / 190 C
- Prepare flax-eggs – mix ground flaxseeds with water . Set aside.
- Roughly chop walnuts and almonds using food processor or mortar and pestle.
- Add onions and oil to large cooking pot. Saute for 4 mins until translucent.
- Add garlic and thyme. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add grated carrot. Saute for 3 mins.
- Add kidney beans and cook on medium-low heat for 5 mins. Stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add flax- eggs, chopped walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, oats, tomato puree, paprika, cayenne, liquid aminos, salt and pepper. Stir combining ingredients thoroughly. Mash mixture with back of spoon whilst stirring.
- Grease loaf tin with oil. Transfer mixture spreading evenly.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour. Place under grill for 3-5 mins until brown and crusty.
- Cool in tin for 30- 40 mins. Slice and serve with Classic Christmas Veggies and Mac and Cheese Pie.